testing of your faith

The testing of your faith comes at some of the worst times. James 1:2-4 says to approach the testing of our faith with joy, but most the time the trial doesn't come at the joyful times. I mean I've got some joy, but when I'm "meeting trials" it is never a great thing or for that matter even a good thing. I was studying this for a while and instead of just reading it like a cheesy christian bumper sticker I decided to allow God to actually teach me something through His word.

The key to my learning came from the word faith. The reason I'm not meeting the trials with joy is because of an over-abundance of self confidence and a severe lack of faith. So in order to not just learn but also to practice I have to totally lose control and allow God to control everything. There are some specific things that I have to remind myself of from time to time, that have helped me grow in my faith.

- Godly friends - Prov. 27:17 - I know that some of the worst moments in my life have been when I feel like I'm alone. We have to have fellowship, but more importantly it needs to be Godly fellowship and not just with people that say "everything is fine," but with those that really challenge us and say hard things and ask hard questions.

- Dynamic quiet-time - Spending time in God's word is great, but my sin is sometimes reading and not letting it speak. Let His word speak to you! Lately I've been using YouVersion as a tool, not for what I'm studying, but for how I'm studying. It is a great resource. Maybe you can find it helpful.

- Do it every day - Luke 9:23 - It isn't our life today, His when the times are tough, but His everyday. Find a way to remind yourself of that.

Increased attention to God's control will lead to less attention to life's trial and an overwhelming feeling of God's Joy.

0 Responses to “testing of your faith”

Post a Comment